The India-Asia Convergence zone before the continental collision
LA ZONA DI CONVERGENZA INDIA-ASIA PRIMA DELLA COLLISIONE CONTINENTALE
This research aims at investigating the geodynamic evolution and the metamorphic processes in the India-Asia convergence zone before the collision between the two tectonic plates, started 50 Ma ago. The study focuses on: Visita la pagina in italiano
In both cases, the research is based on a multidisciplinary approach which combines fieldwork, petrography, minero-chemical studies, termobarometry, phase petrology and geochronology.
This research aims at investigating the geodynamic evolution and the metamorphic processes in the India-Asia convergence zone before the collision between the two tectonic plates, started 50 Ma ago. The study focuses on:
Visita la pagina in italiano
Fig 1. Geological landscapes of the sequences exposed between the Aghil Range and the Karakorum Fault in the Shaksgam Valley (western Tibet)
Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, Dehra Dun (India) (Prof. Himanshu K. Sachan)
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Iowa, USA (Prof. Bill McClelland, Prof. Jane Gilotti)
- Groppo C., Rolfo F., McClelland W.C., Coble M.A. (2019). Pre-Cenozoic evolution of the Aghil Range (western Tibetan Plateau): a missing piece of the Tibet-Pamir-Karakorum geopuzzle. Gondwana Research, 69, 122–143.
- Sachan H.K., Kharya A., Singh P.C., Rolfo F., Groppo C., Tiwari S.K. (2017). A fluid inclusion study of blueschist-facies lithologies from the Indus suture zone, Ladakh (India): Implications for the exhumation of the subduction related Sapi-Shergol ophiolitic mélange. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 146, 185-195.
- Groppo C., Rolfo F., Sachan H.K., Rai S. K. (2016). Petrology of blueschist from the western Himalaya (Ladakh, NW India): exploring the complex behaviour of a lawsonite-bearing system in a palaeo-accretionary setting. Lithos, 252-253, 41-56.
- Rolfo F., Groppo C. & Gaetani M. (2014). A geological cross-section north of Karakorum, from Yarkand to K2. Journal of the Virtual Explorer, ISSN 1441-8142, volume 47, paper 1.
- Groppo C. & Rolfo F. (2008). Counterclockwise P–T evolution of the Aghil Range: Metamorphic record of an accretionary melange between Kunlun and Karakorum (SW Sinkiang, China). Lithos, 105, 365-378.
Tag: Tectono-metamorphic evolution; Tibetan Plateau; Yarlung-Tsangpo suture zone