PhD in Earth Sciences - Things to know
Research in the field of Earth Sciences has experienced in recent decades a rapid development and rapid diversification under the impetus provided, on the one hand, the availability of new analytical techniques and observation, on the other, by increasing interaction with the civil society. See the Teaching offer of PhD courses
Besides the traditional tasks of description of the territory, the study and development of minerals and rocks, the locating and proper use of natural resources (water and mineral) which use the traditional disciplines of geological, mineralogical, crystallographic, geochemistry, structural geology , petrological, giacimentologico, volcanology, stratigraphy, paleontology, geophysical and scientific communication and teaching of Earth Sciences, the expert of Earth Sciences are also required, in an ever growing contribution to the solution of problems such as:
- forecasting of risks from natural events (earthquakes, floods, landslides, volcanic eruptions) and collaboraxione projects to defend the territory from such events;defense of the territory and land use planning;
- defense of the environment from the risks arising from human activities (pollution, contamination, "greenhouse effect");
- conservation and recovery of accelerated degradation, often resulting all'umento population and industrial development, the natural heritage and landscape, archaeological monuments and museums;
- determination of behavior of geomaterials (minerals and rocks) at various temperatures and pressures as a contribution to the solution of problems both scientific applications;
- study and modeling of the processes of formation and evolution of planets;
- differentiated and targeted communication from time to time to alphabetize the citizens in general, to train and retrain teachers, to prepare professionals in the environmental field as well as certain categories of public-sector employees.
The teaching and research PhD in the field of Earth Sciences (tertiary education) is managed by the Department of Earth Sciences.
Until XXV cycle, the organization provided for the address of the PhD in Earth Sciences in the Graduate School in Science and High Technology (Director prof. Elio Giamello). Coordinator of the address was prof. Daniel Castelli, Vice-coordinator prof. Marco Gattiglio.
The XXVI cycle, with the reorganization of the Graduate Schools of the University of Turin, a PhD in Earth Sciences, part of the Graduate School in Science and Nature Innovative Technologies (Director prof. Guido Boffetta). From XXVIII to XXXI cycle the Coordinator of the PhD in Earth Sciences was prof. Fernando Cámara Artigas, Vice-coordinator prof. Anna Maria Ferrero. From the XXXI cycle the Coordinator is prof. Anna Maria Ferrero, Vice-coordinator prof. Francesco Dela Pierre.
In the "Courses and Calendar" section, you can see the available courses, programs and timetables.
The full list of all cycles of PhD students with relevant, topic of research and scientific director, can be reached at this address.
Doctorate in Earth Sciences provides annually training tertiary Spread across the educational element.
Actually are active these cycles: XXVIII - XXIX - XXX - XXXI - XXXII - XXX - XXXIV
For further information, notices, forms, regulations, etc. you can see the pages of the Doctoral School in Science and Innovative Technologies.
Studying at the University of Turin: International Study Program